Clematis is one of the most popular flowering vines grown for the beautification of landscapes such as home gardens. There are different species of the plant, some woody and deciduous while others are herbaceous and flowering.
The species also vary in flowering forms, blooming seasons, flower colors, plant height, and foliage effect. While you can never deny the fact that the plant is so attractive, you might be harboring concerns over whether or not it is toxic to pets.
Is clematis poisonous to cats and dogs? What happens to cats and dogs if they chew and/or ingest clematis? Is clematis likely to kill your pet? What are the side effects of clematis chewing and/or ingestion in pets? We answer all these questions below.
Is clematis poisonous to cats and dogs?
Yes, clematis is poisonous to cats, dogs, and horses. It contains a chemical irritant called glycoside ranunculin that’s converted to protoanemonin when the plant is chewed. Protoanemonin causes oral irritation, drooling, vomiting, and diarrhea. It can also cause skin irritation or contact dermatitis due to its anemonin content.
Can clematis kill cats and dogs?
Fatalities from clematis are very rare in cats and dogs. The strong, bitter taste of the plant and oral irritation prevents pets from chewing or ingesting it in large quantities. However, make sure to seek veterinary assistance if your pet consumes clematis even in small amounts.
Symptoms of clematis poisoning in cats and dogs
Clematis can cause severe poisoning, especially if a pet consumes any part of the plant in large quantities. While it’s advisable to seek immediate veterinary assistance, the most common symptoms of clematis poisoning in cats and dogs include:
- Oral blisters
- Red mucous
Which part of clematis is poisonous to cats and dogs?
The leaves and sap or juice of clematis contain the highest levels of toxins. Chewing the leaves releases the sap containing protoanemonin that causes oral irritation, drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, and red mucous.
Reporting clematis poisoning in cats
You can report cases of clematis poisoning or any other pet poisoning cases to ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435 or Pet Poison Helpline at (855) 764-7661. Keep in mind that a consultation fee may apply.
You might want to visit your local veterinary clinic as quickly as you can. You can also induce vomiting as a quick fix before rushing your lovely pet to see a veterinarian.
So, is clematis safe for pets?
No. Clematis is poisonous to cats, kittens, dogs, puppies, and horses. Its leaves and sap contain toxins that cause vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, oral blisters, and dermatitis when chewed or touched. Luckily, fatalities from clematis poisoning are rare but still, you should keep your pets safe.
Clematis is poisonous to cats, dogs, and horses, according to ASPCA. While commons symptoms of clematis poisoning in cats and dogs include drooling, vomiting, and diarrhea, cases of fatalities are very rare. You should, however, keep your pets off clematis and other garden plants and herbs for their own safety.